Portland visits Spanos

Home for Pacific Women's Basketball
Kemo 1966

13 Feb 2017, 06:11 #1

I'll keep to the statistics..........  Sagarin says,    PACIFIC  70  Portland  61.     Can the depleted roster even make a game of this????  Will the staff have a plan or for that matter  5 starters...who might play the first 7 minutes?  Can the team stand for the national anthem ...  or maybe Pacific goes "continental"... and opens with ... O' CANADA.   Does Queenland come back from 'exile' ....  Doc, is there a 'heart-beat' ?????????????

machogeek

13 Feb 2017, 07:27 #2

Given how badly they were out classed at Santa Clara, and how Gonzaga has surged after losing to Pacific, the Portland game is likely the last chance for Pacific to pick up another Division I win this season.   I think they will do so....... but few outside of the team itself know if they will come together and show up for this game ....... I don't even think Coach Davis knows......
I think Davis will be given one more year to see if he can get back over .500, but this is decidedly not a year he can be proud of.   His hope for a winning season next year looks like it will be based on how well Fadal, Parker, and McDavid can come in and establish an inside game......as this team is not that great a defensive team that creates turnovers like those of the past and can't seem to hold onto the ball.  Their signature win was on the road at Gonzaga,  Best home win was versus a reeling San Diego team that had lost its star Hood.   The San Francisco and Pepperdine wins were exiting but equally as frustrating and aggravating to watch.......Pacific is in a three way tie for 7th with only Portland below them.  At this point, given our low standing going into the WCC Tourney, we wont get past the first round.     We have only 7 actual Division I wins to go with 16 current losses.   That is a regression back to Roberts first few years in building the program up.....The returning players will need some kind of motivational coaching to start out fresh again next year to go along with a lot of hard work in the gym and weight room.....I can only guess that it will be tougher schedule wise next year as this year we didn't have to go out of state for a single non conference game..... and I am guessing we owe some return games to schools that came here....

Luckily for the women's program, the mens program has been equally mired in a sub par season, but Stoudamire will have a longer grace period to rebuild ....They will be hurting for effective bigs next year even more than the  women..

Dropbear

14 Feb 2017, 00:17 #3

I also had this one pencilled in as a win, I think we should win, deserve to win and have the team to win.

Coach has a depleted roster and I feel for him. I agree with Macho and fully support the idea that the coach will be with us next year. But the pressure will be on in 2017 /18.

Not sure who is injured or in 'exile' (is that a tip Kemo) but we need a fully functioning motivated team on court - I would be absolutely disgusted if a player allows themselves to let down their team mates, their friends and their college (paying for their tuition) by being placed in 'exile' voluntarily or otherwise. 

I have not yet written off 2 or more wins in Vegas - we are capable of beating anyone (except BYU) so the luck of the draw will keep us away from them until the final.

In completing the free trade assessment of players discussed on another thread I ventured over to the WCC site to look at the individual stats for the conference - I share these with you

Scoring - Pac placed 6 - GLS
Rebounding - Pac placed 14 - Simons
FG% - Pac placed 6 - Simons - 8 - Liddy
FT% - Pac placed 1 - GLS - 9 Liddy
Assists - Pac placed 7 - GLS - 13 - LI
Steals - Pac placed 8 - GLS - 12 - Finnie
3pt% - Pac placed 15 - Blakeslee (ths is a worry for a team built around 3 point plays - we only have 1 player in the top 15)
3pt Made - Pac placed 3 - GLS - 12 - Owens
Asst / Turnover ration - Pac placed 4 - GLS - 7 - Li
Offensive Rebounds - Pac placed 6 - Simons

At the end of last season in the WCC individual stats we had a few more reps in the above categories - Haillie Eackles and GLS were in the top 10 scorers and Finnie was in the mix of top 20, Simons finished second in the FG% - 3pt % and 3 pts made we had Eackles rating highly.

Oh well - just food for thought and assessment.

Kemo 1966

14 Feb 2017, 01:09 #4

Finnie was at Santa Clara on the bench in Civies...3 girls sat at the far end with an empty seat between them and the other 5 on the bench.  Announcer said Finnie was injured.  She participated in the pregame huddle...trying to encourage the team... she was doing some energetic dance or ????  I think one of the women with her on the bench was Issy and not sure if the other was Queenland or not?  I believe the other ten all played...but I'll have to check the stats.... SC game.  Start wasn't bad, but the offense outside of the first scripted play... lack sharp passing and ball movement.  I'll go check the S.D. game start to see who was there?  No inside info Dropbear, I was just being 'sassy'... and frustrated with the lack of hussle and enthusiasm ...  maybe we just are not as good as I thought we should be....  Gonzaga has had problems shooting (not sure why ... at times) but they have played all out on the defensive end.... beating St Mary's at home  59-58!   I think they have won every game when they have held the opponent to under 59!  And they have won the last 12 conference games in a row.   Two games GU won at the buzzer.   GU's coach has figured out how to successfully use her depth... I believe two starters (my opinion) come off the bench... talent wise... though they go with the same starting five ... and have a 4 or 5 person rotation... a frosh guard lost a 'tooth' in the LMU game, and didn't play vs SMC.  

Dropbear

14 Feb 2017, 03:53 #5

Thanks Kemo for the clarification - I do not have any particular insights / information to contribute beyond your sassy comment. Pleased to hear that Finnie was there. I have noted Issy has always been there on the bench and her name actually appeared on the player list - perhaps just an oversight by an zealous bench official. I have always admired Kings enthusiasm on the bench - she seems as enthusiastic as ever - that sort of character is worth bottling and distributing.

I did hear the commentator refer to Finnie being out with an undisclosed injury - I always wonder about those.

Re GU -  if 2 starters come off the bench - its all about combinations, energy and match ups - not who gets their photo taken. If it works - well done coach - that's whats called good coaching. Coaches are measured by their win loss not by smiles on players faces. I have never seen a player sad at losing! Or maybe this year I might have glimpsed it once!

Kemo 1966

14 Feb 2017, 05:32 #6

Yes, GU goes with their '5 best defenders'... and experience (in program)...though Smith a transfer (who sat out last year) from Neb.  I believe is a better more efficient guard than the much ballyhooed L. Stockton.  They have 4 Center/forward players (6'3"-6'5")... and a gal who comes off the bench for special plays/ relief...who can out jump the other 4!  6 guards... one a 3pt shooter, 2 FR, the two I mentioned above and Elle Tinkle (6'1" great wing span) who plays the point in their 1-2-2 press.  And a PF who shoots 3's and can rumble ... this one hit a crucial 3 down the stretch against SMC and also muscled with SMC's best body clashers.

If the our team can come out loose, make a few early shots  against Portland, and get in a flow...especially up tempo.... I think they will have an easier time building a lead and then finishing!  Good luck, Macho,  courtside!

machogeek

14 Feb 2017, 06:02 #7

I am usually about 15 to 20 rows up behind the scorers table on one of the aisles with one or more of my friends. I am hoping the gals put it all together this Thursday night and don't look like they are going thru the motions again....I hope they know we are rooting for them even if we have some criticism on here of play and coaching.....and the we want them to succeed on and off the court and in life after they get their degrees....

Kemo 1966

14 Feb 2017, 07:02 #8

@Macho,  I agree 100% with you...always a pleasure to see them do well on and off the court!  And like @Dropbear, I like it when they are enjoying themselves on the court with smiles..... Love those SMILES!!!!!!!!!Image

machogeek

17 Feb 2017, 02:48 #9

RealTime RPI says Pacific rolls 82-65....... let it be so ..... the team needs this.....

machogeek

17 Feb 2017, 03:53 #10

Half time 27-23 Tiger lead after the tigers blew an 11 point lead with poor ball handling, poor shooting, and inability to rebound or drive inside.....We are lucky we are playing Portland and not someone else. Shooting 36%. 14-9 turnover margin are what created the lead. PAH LEASE NO 3RD QUARTER COLLAPSE AGAIN.....Finnie played a few minutes and shooting was off ....... looks a little tentative as one might expect getting her feet wet again......made a couple of good defensive plays.....